Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G is among the most comprehensive Medigap plans available in most states. Medicare Supplement Insurance works alongside Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) to cover some of the program's out-of-pocket costs such as deductibles, coinsurance and copayments.
Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G coverage includes eight of the nine available Medigap benefits.
Medicare Supplement Plan G Benefits
Medigap Plan G insurance basic benefits include:
- Medicare Part A hospital coinsurance and hospital costs (up to 365 days after Original Medicare benefits are used up). Part A coinsurance amounts can range from $0 to up to $778 per day in 2022, depending on the length of your hospital stay.
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment (20% of Medicare approved charges)
- First three pints of blood
- Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment. Copayment amounts for prescription drugs and other products related to pain relief or symptom control are generally no more than $5. Respite care typically requires a coinsurance payment of 5 percent.
- Medicare Part A deductible. In 2022, the Part A deductible is $1,556 for each benefit period.
- Medicare Part B excess charges. Health care providers that do not accept Medicare assignment may charge up to 15 percent more for products and services.
- Skilled nursing facility (SNF) care coinsurance coverage. Part A coinsurance may cost up to $194.50 per day during each benefit period in 2022.
- Foreign travel emergency coverage (80%, up to plan limits)
To see how Medigap Plan G benefits compare to those of other Medigap plans, refer to the chart below.
Scroll to the right to continue reading the chart
Medicare Supplement Benefits
Part A coinsurance and hospital coverage
Part B coinsurance or copayment
Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
First 3 pints of blood
Skilled nursing facility coinsurance
Part A deductible
Part B deductible
Part B excess charges
Foreign travel emergency
|Medicare Supplement Benefits||A||B||C*||D||F1*||G1||K2||L3||M||N4|
|Part A coinsurance and hospital coverage|
|Part B coinsurance or copayment||50%||75%|
|Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment||50%||75%|
|First 3 pints of blood||50%||75%|
|Skilled nursing facility coinsurance||50%||75%|
|Part A deductible||50%||75%||50%|
|Part B deductible|
|Part B excess charges|
|Foreign travel emergency||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%||80%|
* Plan F and Plan C are not available to Medicare beneficiaries who became eligible for Medicare on or after January 1, 2020. If you became eligible for Medicare before 2020, you may still be able to enroll in Plan F or Plan C as long as they are available in your area.+ Read more
Medicare Part B Deductible
Medicare Part B covers a range of medical services (both preventative and diagnostic). However, before your coverage kicks in, you must satisfy your Medicare Part B deductible. In 2022, the Medicare Part B deductible is $233 per year.
Beneficiaries with Medigap Plan G have to pay this cost out of pocket, but in exchange, Medigap Plan G premium rates are usually lower than the more comprehensive Medigap Plan F, which does cover the Part B deductible.
2020 and Beyond
As a result of Section 401 of the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA), supplement plans that cover the Medicare Part B deductible will be phased out Jan. 1, 2020. The two Medigap plans affected by this are Plan F and Plan C.
People who already have these types of policies will be exempt, but if you become eligible for Medicare on or after Jan. 1, 2020, Medigap Plan C and Medigap Plan F will no longer be options.
If you become eligible for Medicare prior to Jan. 1, 2020 and don't already have Plan C or Plan F, you may be able to buy either of them if they are available where you live.
Enrolling In Medigap Plan G
To find out more about Medicare Supplement Insurance plan benefits, speak with a licensed agent. We'll help you assess your personal health needs and budget, and determine whether Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan G is the right Medigap plan for you.
Compare Medigap plans in your area.Find a plan
Or call 1-800-995-4219 to speak with a licensed insurance agent.